I am an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the School of Philosophy, University College, Dublin, where I teach critical thinking; intro. to ethics; epistemology; metaphysics; philosophy of religion; and philosophy of time.
My research is primarily in the philosophy of time and the metaphysics of modality.
I received a B.Phil. (2010, Exeter College) and D.Phil (2014, St. Hilda’s College) in Philosophy from the University of Oxford. My D.Phil. supervisors were Cian Dorr (NYU) and John Hawthorne (USC) and my examiners were Timothy Williamson (Oxford) and Dean Zimmerman (Rutgers). I also worked as a Stipendiary Lecturer in Philosophy at Magdalen College, University of Oxford (2014-15).
My work e-mail address is daniel[dot]deasy[at]ucd[dot]ie.
1. Published Research
- Hazardous Conditions Persist (with Jonathan Tallant). Erkenntnis, forthcoming. [published version]
- Advanced Temporalising. Oxford Studies in Metaphysics Vol. 12, forthcoming. [final draft]
- Characterising Theories of Time and Modality. Analytic Philosophy, 2019. [published version] [final draft]
- The Triviality Argument Against Presentism. Synthese, 2019. [published version] [final draft]
- Skow on Robust Passage and The Moving Spotlight Theory. Philosophical Studies, 2018. [published version] [final draft]
- Philosophical Arguments Against The A-theory. Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, 2018. [published version] [final draft]
- What is Presentism? Noûs, 2017. [published version] [final draft]
- Review of Cameron: The Moving Spotlight Theory: An Essay on Time and Ontology. The Journal of Philosophy, 2016. [published version]
- The Moving Spotlight Theory. Philosophical Studies, 2015. [published version] [final draft]
2. Under Review/In Development
- A paper on the A-theory (under review)
- A paper on the Moving Spotlight Theory (draft complete)
- A paper on Presentism (in progress)
3. Doctoral Thesis
- Permanents: In Defence of The Moving Spotlight Theory. University of Oxford, 2014.
- Early Modern Thesis Title Page
- A-theories, Post-Prior. University of Nottingham, 2019.
- Problems for Existence Presentism. National University of Ireland, Dublin, 2019.
- Skow on Robust Passage. University of Bonn, 2018.
- Moving Spotlight Theories. University of Durham, 2017.
- Classic MST. University of Milan, 2017.
- Change on The B-theory. University of Oxford, 2017.
- Advanced Temporalising. University of Hamburg, 2016.
- The Stuck Spotlight. University of Bonn, 2016.
- Real Change. Trinity College, University of Dublin, 2016.
- Past Particulars. University of Bonn, 2016.
- The Presentism/Eternalism Debate. 99th Meeting of the Irish Philosophical Club, 2016.
- New Developments in Temporal Metaphysics. University of Bonn, 2015.
- Advanced Temporalising. Trinity College, University of Dublin, 2015.
- Talking About The Non-existent Past. University College Cork, 2015.
- What Am I Doing?. Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, Oxford, 2014.
- Could I Have Been a Turnip? Magdalen College School, Oxford, 2014.
5. Public Philosophy